Tuesday, June 10, 2008

MP repeatedly kicked her rival

LABOR MP Belinda Neal was sent off the soccer pitch and suspended for two matches for repeatedly kicking a rival player just two weeks before she allegedly abused staff at a nightclub.

Striker Amy Parslow yesterday said she feared permanent damage to her right ankle and leg after being seriously injured by Ms Neal during a match at Umina Oval on May 25.

The Entrance/Bateau Bay United Soccer Club's first grade player said she further feared Ms Neal, who was playing for the Umina United women's side, would be "waiting for me in the car park" after she was sent from the field by the referee.

The incident was referred to the Central Coast Football Judiciary and Ms Neal was handed a two-match suspension.

It is understood Ms Neal still has one match to sit out, because of rain that washed out many of last weekend's games.

The violent on-field action has shocked not only The Entrance/Bateau Bay United Soccer Club, but also many who play alongside Ms Neal in her own beloved Umina United Club.

President of The Entrance/Bateau Bay United Soccer Club, Peter Tierney,said he was "standing right in front of it" when the incident occurred.

The Umina club ended up beating The Entrance/Bateau Bay with a score of 2-0.

Still nursing her bruises from the unprovoked attack, Ms Parslow, 20, said she could not recall how many times Ms Neal had kicked her, but believed it was more than once.

"She had the ball and I came in for a slide tackle. We've then collided and I've fallen on the ground and she's turned around and started kicking into me while I was on the ground," Ms Parslow said.

"I was on the floor and I just curled up because she started kicking into me.

"I still have bruising on my right leg. I couldn't walk on my right ankle for a couple of days."

Ms Parslow said prior to the attack Ms Neal had been "very pushy" during the game.

"I don't mind being pushed, but she got over the top with it all and started swearing at me on the sly," she said.

While Ms Parslow said her injuries would heal, it was the children who were watching the match on the sidelines that she was concerned for.

"There were kids watching this game from the sideline. That's not the sort of behaviour you want to be encouraging," Ms Parslow said.

"There are juniors in my club. Whatever they see us doing they're going to think it's OK, and they're going to get in trouble for it.

"She (Ms Neal) is old enough to be my mother.

"It's like kicking your daughter. I just can't believe somebody her age would start kicking into me.

"It's not something you would expect from somebody in a first grade team.

"I was half expecting her to be waiting for me out in the car park.

"Whether it had have been Belinda or somebody else it doesn't matter. But I've let the tribunal deal with it now, so it's over."

Ms Parslow said she regarded herself as a good sport, particularly after winning the Central Coast Soccer Association Sportsperson of the Year award in 2006 and being nominated for the very same award in 2005.

Ms Neal was contacted for comment yesterday but declined to respond.

Representatives for the Umina United Soccer Club and Central Coast Football would not comment on the matter yesterday.

No comments: